Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Testing Idea # 2


Testing mode is here and is definitely staying for the next couple of weeks. My school goes up to 8th grade and we are basically frozen till everyone is done with testing. To get out of these testing blue, I like to provide activity to my students that are engaging but yet serves as a release from the big test.

Now instead of caving in to give the kids free time, I like to do small activities where they still can have sort of a break. Yesterday activity was to write a note of encouragement to a friend. Today activity includes reading and writing poem.

Today we learned about two types of poems cinquain and acrostic poems. These two styles of poems are super for kids to explore and venture out with words. My students loved the idea and to my surprise eager to start. I also added in that after the poem is perfect they can type it in the computer. And this is where the crowd went wild!

Here is a recap of what we did…

#1: Review the difference between an Acrostic Poem and Cinquain Poem

click here to get this as a PDF file


#2: Show examples of both poems 
#3: Brainstorm and Write! 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this! I think I want my 5th graders to write a cinquain bio poem next week. :)

    Shannon
    http://www.irunreadteach.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vanessa! I just found your cute blog, I'm your newest follower!

    ✿Sue✿
    Science for Kids Blog

    ReplyDelete